Marriage Licenses

Civil Marriage Services Not Available

Please note that as of May 11, 2021 we only offer marriage licensing and no longer offer civil marriage services. 

What you need to know

  • A marriage license is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church).
  • You must come to the Municipal Office in person to apply for your license.
  • An appointment is required when applying for a marriage license.
  • The license can be used anywhere in the province of Ontario.
  • A marriage license is valid for 90 days.

How much does it cost?

  • Marriage licence: $125.00 plus HST

Payments can be made with cash or debit.

Who can get married?

Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardian. A parental consent form must be completed. These forms are available at the Municipal Office in Wilberforce. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage license application.

Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage license and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage license. The requirements are the same for everyone. 

How do I apply for a Marriage License?

  1. Review the identification requirements.
  2. If applicable, review the guidelines on re-marrying after a divorce.
  3. Complete a marriage license application.
    • You can download, print and complete the application by hand.
    • Printed applications are also available at the Municipal Office in Wilberforce.
  4. Make an appointment and visit the Municipal Office in Wilberforce with the following:
    • Completed application with original signatures (no photocopies or scans).
    • For both applicants, two pieces of valid government issued identification that shows the legal spelling of your name and date of birth. See Acceptable Identification below for more information.
    • The license fee of $125.00 (HST does not apply). You may pay by Cash or Debit.
    • If necessary, the original court certified copy of your Canadian Divorce Certificate or Foreign Divorce Authorization.

The Clerk’s Department will accept marriage license applications for residents of Highlands East by appointment only on Thursdays.

Please book an appointment at the Municipal Office in Wilberforce by contacting the Municipal Office at 705-448-2981.

Can I apply in person without my partner present?

Yes, you can apply without your partner, if:

  • both of you have signed and dated the completed application,
  • you bring the required identification for each person on the application,
  • you bring original divorce documentation, if applicable.

What is acceptable identification?

Each person applying for the marriage license must bring two pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below.

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies or scanned images/documents)
  • ID must provide your legal name and date of birth
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage license it must also appear on both pieces of ID
  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued
Acceptable Identification
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition License (PAL)

What do divorced applicants need to do?

Within Canada

Applicants divorced within Canada must produce the original or court certified copy of a:

  • Certificate of Divorce, or
  • Final Decree

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can visit the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings website or call 1-613-957-4519.

Outside Canada (Foreign Divorce)

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the Province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage license.

For more information, contact the Clerk’s Office at 705-448-2981 or visit Service Ontario.

Questions regarding the authorization process should be directed to the Office of the Registrar General at 416-326-1234 or 1-800-268-7095 (Toll Free within Ontario).

What if I don't read or understand English?

If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring your own interpreter.  The interpreter must present their own identification.