Part-Time Environmental Department Labourer Position Available
The Municipality of Highlands East is currently accepting applications for a Part-Time Labourer position in the Environmental Department. Reporting to the Environmental Supervisor, the successful applicant will direct and provide oversight in the disposal of waste in proper areas of landfills located throughout the Municipality.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Minimum of 6 months experience performing Landfill Attendant duties.
- Have a valid G driver’s license.
- WHMIS training.
- Partial completion of High School.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Perform minor mechanical and plumbing repairs, minor construction/carpentry projects and repairs to municipal facilities and property, including occasional painting, as required.
- Perform external maintenance including snow removal from entrances/parking lots/paths/sidewalks in winter, salt walkways; sweep sand and collect curbside garbage/yard waste on designated days at Dyno Estates and Cardiff Townsite as required.
- Report serious property or equipment damage requiring repair to appropriate department head.
- Assist staff with routine maintenance and duties related to operation of the public pool.
- Perform minor repairs on equipment required to complete routine duties.
- Direct the public as to where waste is to be deposited within the landfill site area and provide assistance when required.
- Maintain and operate the landfill site in accordance with the certificate of approval issued by the MOECC.
- Ensure hazardous materials are handled according to Ministry of the Environment guidelines.
- Maintain accurate records of incoming loads, monies received, log summaries, collect tipping fees and issue receipts.
- Inspect the site daily to ensure public safety and regulatory compliance.
- Burn brush daily according to permit and clean up burn area, making sure the area is clear of fire or heat when burn is completed.
- Move large objects to appropriate location (fridges, stoves, furniture) using personal vehicle or manual labour.
- Remove snow and/or other debris (nails, garbage) from entrances, loading dock and roads within landfill site.
- Perform minor repairs to loading docks as required.
- Clean landfill premises and around recycling bins, fence and gate areas on a daily basis.
- Respond to public enquiries by telephone and in person.
- Lock and unlock gates to the site and ensure that site is secure.
- Operate and maintain recycling compaction units.
- Routinely report to Environment Supervisor regarding status of all bins (metal/electronics/garbage/recycling) to allow for proper scheduling of replacement bins.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
If you are interested in joining our dedicated team of municipal professionals, applications clearly marked “Application – Labourer (Environmental Department)” may be submitted on or before 12:00PM on April 18th, 2018 via mail, in person, fax or email.
Interested applicants may submit their resume, including references, in confidence to:
Shannon Hunter, CAO/Treasurer
Municipality of Highlands East
P.O. Box 295, 2249 Loop Road
Wilberforce, ON, K0L 3C0
The Municipality of Highlands East is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants requiring accommodation are asked to contact the CAO/Treasurer. Applicant information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with the Municipality of Highlands East. Questions about this collection should be directed to Shannon Hunter, C.A.O.
A copy of the detailed job description is available upon request. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.