2018 Municipal Election Notice and Information
Municipal Elections are held every four (4) years on the fourth Monday in October. The next election will take place on October 22, 2018.
The term of all offices to which the Municipal Elections Act applies is four years, beginning on December 1 in the year of a regular election.
The Council for the Corporation of the Municipality of Highlands East consists of five members; Mayor, Councillor for Ward 1 (former Bicroft Township) and Councillor for Ward 2 (former Cardiff Township), Councillor for Ward 3 (former Glamorgan Township) and Councillor for Ward 4 (former Monmouth Township).
The Municipality of Highlands East has used a mail-in-ballot since the 2000 Municipal and School Board Election. Council determines the method of voting and may consider other voting methods for future elections.
Council has adopted By-laws Number 2017-12 for alternative voting method – Voting By Mail, for the 2018 Municipal and School Board Election. Ranked ballots will not be implemented in 2018.
Municipal Elections Act
Bill 181 was introduced to make changes to the Municipal Elections Act. Some changes do not come into effect until April 1, 2018, in time for the next municipal election. The changes reflect recommendations from the public, municipal councils and municipal staff. Some of the changes are as follows:
Filing of Nominations: May 1st, 2018 (formerly the first business day in January)
Nomination Day: July 27th, 2018 (formerly the 2nd Friday in September)
Nomination and Eligibility: Anyone wishing to run for office on Council in the 2018 Election must submit must file a Nomination Paper with the Clerk of the Municipality commencing May 1st, 2018 and the deadline to submit nomination papers is on on Nomination Day by 2:00PM, Friday, July 27th, 2018. A filing fee in cash, certified cheque or money order is required with the submission of your Nomination Paper. Nomination papers are to be accompanied by 25 endorsement signatures from eligible electors.
The requirement to submit 25 signatures does not apply to candidates running for school board trustee positions.
If you are interested in running as a candidate in the Municipal Election, it is recommended you review the Ministry of Municipal Affairs’ 2016-2018 Candidates Guide which is scheduled to be completed and posted on the Ministry’s website by April 1, 2018.
Municipality of Highlands East Elections are held for the following Offices:
- Councillor Ward 1 (former Bicroft Township - one elected by Ward 1 electors)
- Councillor Ward 2 (former Cardiff Township - one elected by Ward 2 electors)
- Councillor Ward 3 (former Glamorgan Township - one elected by Ward 3 electors)
- Councillor Ward 4 (former MonmouthTownship - one elected by Ward 4 electors)
- Board of Education: English Language Public School
- Board of Education: French Language Public School
- Board of Education: English Language Separate School
- Board of Education: French Language Separate School Trustee for English Language Public
A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality if on Voting Day, he or she,
- resides in the local municipality, or is the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
- is a Canadian Citizen
- is at least 18 years old; and
- is not prohibited from voting under Section 17 Subsection 3 or otherwise by law.
The Municipal Elections Act
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
The Association of Municipalities Ontario
The Association of Municipal Managers Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO)