Highlands East's Heritage Sites

Posted to Activities on Aug 13, 2010

The Tory Hill United Church

Built in 1928, once the hub of the Tory Hill community along with three general stores, blacksmith shop, and dance hall, just to name a few. The United Church is now a private residence, home to Artech Glass Studio.

18639 Hwy 118 (Google Street View)

Essonville Anglican Christ Church

Built in 1888, this is the first church to be built in the township of Monmouth. Both the church and pioneer cemetery have been painstakingly cared for and maintained. Two services are still held here each year.

1284 Essonville Line (Google Street View)

The Wilberforce Red Cross Outpost Historic House

The first Red Cross outpost hospital in Ontario was also the first hospital in Haliburton County. A fitting solution to solve the wait times as the Doctor travelled the poorly developed rural roads to see their patients. Now an educational museum and declared National Historic Site of Canada. Open daily July and August, or by appointment.

Call 1-705-448-2018 for an appointment.

Located at 2314 Loop Road in downtown Wilberforce. (Google Street View)

The IB&O Rail Trail

The Irondale, Bancroft and Ottawa Railway was a vital link in developing our rural areas by bringing doctors, teachers and other important individuals and items to these settlements. The last train ran on April 1, 1960 and the tracks were lifted on August 11, 1960. The old rail bed is now a multi-use-trail within Highlands East, owned by the Municipality, and no trail permits are required.

Easily Accessed from Tory Hill Parkette (Google Street View), HWY 503 (Google Street View), McColl's Road (Google Street View) or from Farr Road (Otter Lake Road).

The Kidd Schoolhouse

Originally located along the Dyno Road, in November of 2005 the schoolhouse was moved from the Fire Hall on Highway 28 to its present location, adjacent to the community center in Highland Grove (Google Street View). Originally built in 1890 by W.R. Kidd, it was the first school in Cardiff Township. According to Ethel McGillivray, one of the school's former teachers, W.R. Kidd never actually taught at the school. The schoolhouse eventually closed in the 1920s. Through municipal funds, a Trillium Grant, and many volunteer hours, the restoration of the schoolhouse is close to completion.

Map: Highlands East's Heritage Sites

View Highlands East's Heritage Sites in a larger map