Burning By-Law and Application
Small fires are permitted in most areas of Highlands East as long as the following rules are complied with:
- There is no daytime burning permitted during the fire season (April 1st to November 30th) without a permit. Fires may take place only during the time from 7:00PM to 7:00AM.
- Your fire can be no greater than .6 metres (approx. 24 inches) in diameter.
- Your fire must be setback a minimum of 10 metres from any structure.
- Only environmentally friendly materials may be burned.
- The smoke from your fire cannot interfere with your neighbours or a roadway.
- You must have sufficient tools and water available to put the fire out should the need arise.
- You must be with your fire at all times.
You may have a campfire during the day, using the same size restrictions and conditions listed above however it can only be used for cooking and warmth. It must be attended at all times.
All other fires need a permit. Please contact the municipal office for more information and to obtain a permit download the by-law and application below.
Any municipal or county-wide burn ban supercedes these rules.
The charges to extinguish a fire begins at $477 per hour.