Building Permit Requirements & Application Form
Before you start any construction on your property contact the Building Department and obtain any necessary permits!
Building Permit Application, Application Requirements and Guides are available for download below:
- Building Permit Application
- Building By-Law 2016.57 (Updated June 6, 2016)
- Application Requirements, Deck
- Application Requirements, Dwelling
- Application Requirements, Garage
- Application Requirements, Solid Fuel Burning Appliance
- Zoning By-Law Guide
The following items shall accompany an application for a building permit.
- Site Plan showing location of building and septic system on lot, and also showing distances to the property lines, Front Yard Setback, Side Yard (both sides) and Rear Yard.
- Location to other buildings on the lot.
- Location to Hydro Lines or any other hazards on the lot.
- Entrance to the Lot.
- When difference in Municipal records, Ownership of property is required.
- Two sets of Scaled drawings
- Foundation Plan: example showing footing sizes, pier footings, locations, laminated beam sizes and floor joist size and spacing etc.
- Floor Plan: example showing room sizes, locations, exterior, interior wall thickness, door sizes, window sizes, chimneys and ventilation system etc.
- Cross Section: example showing foundation depth, foundation type (block or solid concrete etc.), foundation damproofing, foundation drainage, foundation slab, footing sizes, sill gasket, anchor bolts (spacing), joist size, subfloor size stud sizes and spacing, insulation, vapour barrier, interior, exterior finishes, roof type, sheeting, shingles and venting etc.
- Copy of TRUSS DRAWINGS from manufacturer.
- Municipality of Highlands East copy of the Site Inspection Report for a Sewage System, when required.
- Entrance Permit from the Municipality of Highlands East Roads Department, County of Haliburton or the Ministry of Transportation when required.
- Any Permit required by any other authority.
- Payment of Fees
Please note that any application which is not signed by the owner, and is signed by another authorized person, it shall be accompanied by a letter of authorization signed by the owner.
Any difference found in the Front, Side, or Rear setbacks by the Chief Building Official may result in an Application for a Building Permit being refused or revoked, until the Plot Plan is corrected.