Municipality of Highlands East Complaint Policy & Complaint Form
What is a complaint?
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to a Municipality of Highlands East program, service, facility, or staff member, where a citizen believes that the Municipality has not provided a service experience to the customer’s satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected.
A complaint is NOT:
- Request for Service: A request made to the Municipality on behalf of a citizen for a specific service, or to notify the Municipality that a scheduled service was not provided on time. Examples include:
- Requesting that the municipality repair a street surface
- Reporting a burnt out street light
- Notifying the Municipality of a missed garbage collection
- Alerting the Municipality of no water service
- Report a bylaw or parking infraction
- Enquiry: A general or specific request for information regarding a Municipality of Highlands East product or service made by a citizen that is resolved at the point of service delivery.
- Feedback: An opinion, comment and expression of interest in a Municipality of Highlands East program or service by a citizen.
- Compliment: An expression of approval for a Municipality of Highlands East service, staff member, program, product or process.
- Suggestion: An idea submitted to the Municipality of Highlands East by a customer with the aim of improving services, programs, products or processes.
Submitting a Complaint
In order to submit a formal complaint to the Municipality, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Details of what happened
- Where did this happen? Is it within the Municipality’s area of responsibility?
- Who was involved?
- What was said or done?
- What kind of resolution is being sought?
- Contact details of the complainant
All complaints will be dealt with in a confidential manner according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the Act. More information on the Act is available at the Information and Privacy Commissioner's website.
The Municipality of Highlands East's full complaint policy and complaint form are available for download below.